September 7, 2010

Cabbage Rolls



Finally, I am getting around to posting this recipe!  For those of you on my Facebook Page, you know that I made these cabbage rolls for dinner Thursday night, & had intentions of posting the recipe on the blog on Friday.  Well, the Labor Day weekend got the best of me.  So, I apologize for taking so long to get this up!  


I had bought a head of cabbage at the farmers market last week with the intentions of making coleslaw.  Well, my husband doesn't like coleslaw & my youngest daughter has now decided that she no longer likes it either.  So, it would only be myself & my oldest daughter eating it, which equals to half of it going in the garbage.  So, I decided to make cabbage rolls, a recipe handed down to me from Armenian relatives. My whole family ate it up -which is saying a lot if you know my youngest daughter!

First, you will need to peel off about 12 leaves from the head of a cabbage & boil them in a large pot  of water for about 3 minutes.  Place the blanched cabbage leaves in a colander to drain off excess water.






In a large bowl, mix together 1 pound of raw extra lean ground beef, 1 cup of cooked rice, 1 beaten egg, 1/4 cup milk, 1 diced medium onion, 4 minced cloves of garlic, 1 tbsp garlic salt, 1 tbsp onion powder, & a sprinkling of salt and pepper.






Scoop 1/4 cup of the mixture into each of the cabbage rolls, & roll up.  Place them in a large baking dish.









For the sauce, you will need to mix together 1 (15oz) can of tomato sauce, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, & 2 tablespoons lemon juice.









Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls.  Cover with aluminum foil & bake at 350 degrees for 75 minutes. 








Remove from the oven - serve & enjoy!!





Ingredients:

For the cabbage rolls:
  • 12 leaves cabbage
  • 1 cup cooked white rice
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
  • salt to taste
  • black pepper to taste
  • 4 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon garlic salt
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder

For the Sauce:
  • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Instructions:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil cabbage leaves 3 minutes; drain.



In large bowl, combine 1 cup cooked rice, egg, milk, onion, ground beef, salt, and pepper. Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf, and roll up, tucking in ends. Place rolls in large baking pan.

Mix together tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over cabbage rolls.  Cover with aluminum foil.  Bake at 350 for 75 minutes.

.

--> Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...