February 11, 2011

Meatball 'Lasagna'



Meatballs.  I love meatballs!  I always make a large batch them when I do my Once a Month Cooking Days.  I use this recipe, & it's excellent.  I freeze them cooked, thaw them in the refrigerator, & use them in different dishes.  One of our favorite ways of eating the meatballs is in what my family & I refer to as Meatball Lasagna.  It comes together really fast, but tastes like you have been in the kitchen all day making it.


Start by simmering your cooked meatballs in 2 jars of spaghetti sauce.  Sometimes I make my own sauce, but in a hurry, the jarred stuff works great.  You can add in diced tomatoes or garlic if you wish - totally up to you.


While the meatballs are simmering - combine 1 pint of ricotta cheese, 2 eggs, & 2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning.





Skim some of the sauce off of the simmering meatballs, & spread it in a 9x13 pan.


Layer 1/2 of your noodles (I used leftover penne noodles & the noodles from the boxed mac & cheese that I knew we'd never eat as it was) - then half of the ricotta mixture, followed by 1/3 of the shredded mozzarella & half of the meatballs.






Repeat - ending with meatballs on top - and finished off with the remaining mozzarella cheese, & a sprinking of Parmesan cheese & Italian Seasoning.



Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  I like to cook mine on top of a baking sheet just in case there is any spillovers.


Serve, & enjoy.  The leftovers are even better!!






Meatball Lasagna


Ingredients:

  • 1/3 of the meatballs in the linked recipe (or of your own choosing)
  • 2 large jars spaghetti sauce
  • 6 cups cooked noodles (penne, elbow, mix of whatever you have - doesn't really matter)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 pint ricotta cheese
  • 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
  • 1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • Parmesan Cheese
Instructions:

Simmer the meatballs in the spaghetti sauce.  Meanwhile, combine the ricotta cheese, eggs, & 2 tbsp of Italian seasoning.  Skim some of the sauce off of the simmering meatballs, & spread it in a 9x13 pan - covering the bottom.  Layer half of the noodles, ricotta mixture, 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese, & half of the meatballs.  Repeat.  Top with the last 1/3 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese & Italian seasoning. 

Place the pan of lasagna on a baking sheet to prevent oven spillovers.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

.

--> Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...