December 20, 2011

Breakfast Casserole - A Christmas Tradition





Breakfast Casserole has definitely become a Christmas morning tradition for our family.  It's so easy that it could definitely be made throughout the year, but Christmas is the one time that it has to be on the table.  I prep it the night before, and pop it in the fridge.  Then, when we get up in the morning - I pop it in the oven & it is ready by the time we have finished unwrapping the presents.  

Now, you have to excuse my pictures here, both the quality & the amount.  I wanted to share this recipe with you, but since I only make it on Christmas morning - I haven't made it since last year.  I guess I'm lucky I even have pictures of it, but they certainly weren't taken with the intentions of putting it on the Mrs.  They were just part of normal picture taking on Christmas, capturing every memory that I can - with an old point & shoot camera, that is!

This recipe is a must-try though.  It is so very yummy!






Breakfast Casserole

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground sausage
  • 1 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups milk
  • 6 slices white bread, toasted & cut into cubes
  • 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded


Instructions:


Crumble sausage in a skillet & cook ever medium heat until evenly browned.  Drain.

In a medium bowl, mix together mustard powder, salt, eggs, & milk.  Add the sausage, bread cubes, & cheese - stir to coat evenly.  Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish.  Cover, & chill in refrigerator for 8 hours - or overnight.  

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  

Cover, & bake 50 - 60 minutes.  Uncover, & reduce reduce temperature to 325 degrees.  Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until set.


MrsHappyHomemaker

.

--> Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...