December 6, 2010

Mud Puddles A.K.A Fudge Puddles


"The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful" - E.E. Cummings 


I have always liked that quote.  It's just so fun to say, and when you think about it - it's an enlightening way to think of the world. 


Other than the fun-ness (is that even a word?!) of that quote, I have always loved the word luscious.  I blame it on my mother & her interest in the Natalie Dupree cooking shows when I was a child.  Anyone remember her?  Oh, I do!  Whenever she was finished making something yummy, she would say how 'luscious' it was....and before long, each time my mother would make something I liked, I would tell her how luscious it was.  And my Moma can out cook an Iron Chef, so I found myself saying 'luscious' quite a lot.


Just as E.E. Cummings says the world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful, I must say that these Mud Puddle cookies go right along with it.  Ready to play in the mud for a bit?  








Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.  


Beat the butter, brown sugar, white sugar, & peanut butter together.






Mix in egg & vanilla extract.








Stir in the flour, baking soda, & salt.









Roll the peanut butter dough into 48 balls, 1 inch each & place them into a mini muffin pan sprayed with cooking spray.









Bake for 14-16 minutes.  


Meanwhile, in a double boiler (I place a glass bowl over a small pot of simmering water) combine the milk chocolate & semi sweet chocolate chips, 1 tsp vanilla extract, & sweetened condensed milk.  









Cook on low - stirring often - until melted into creamy fudgey goodness.









The peanut butter cookies should be done by now, so it's time to turn them into the puddles.  Immediately after they are removed from the oven, you need to make a deep indentation in them using a small spoon or a melon baller.  I usually use my fingers a little to 'perfect' the puddle holes.








Let the cookies cool in the pan a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack by carefully scooping them out like so with a small spoon.








Spoon the fudge (a.k.a the mud) into the cookie (a.k.a the puddle)!









You can leave them as is, or you can decorate them if you wish.  I used M&M's and sprinkles this time around - but I have also used pecan halves, white chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows.








Mud Puddles


Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Instructions:



Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
Cream butter, peanut butter and white and brown sugars. Mix in egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir the flour mixture into creamed mixture. Shape the dough into 48 balls, 1 inch each. Place each ball in one compartment of a mini muffin tin sprayed with cooking spray.
For filling, put chocolate chips in a double boiler over simmering water. Stir in milk and vanilla, mix well.
Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and immediately make wells in the center of each using a small spoon, melon baller, or your thumb.. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Then carefully remove to wire racks. Fill each shell with the chocolate mixture.
Decorate as desired.

.

--> Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...