January 1, 2011

Asparagus Bacon Wraps



Wow, 2010 surely has flown on by!  Once I finally remember to write the correct year on my checks, it changes again.  I wonder how far into 2011 we will be before I get it right this time?

Along with the new year comes the start of the Pantry Challenge.  I'm perhaps a little more excited about it than I should be, but I'm going with it.  

My goals for this challenge are:

  • Spend less than $100 on groceries/household supplies each week for my family of 5
  • Completely clear out my freezer
  • Use up as many products as possible that are currently in my pantry
  • Eat more 'pantry' recipes & teach myself plus my family that there is something to eat in the house when everyone says there isn't!

Julie, an online friend of mine, posted a picture of an Asparagus Wrap recipe she had tried that was originally from a Paula Deen magazine - and it looked so good, and unique.  Since I have embarked on this pantry challenge & had the majority of the necessary ingredients on hand to make it, I gave it a shot.  

 
The recipe she gave me called for steamed asparagus & Swiss cheese - but I sauteed the asparagus in a teaspoon of bacon grease & subbed an Italian cheese blend for the Swiss.  I'm sure the Swiss would have been grand, but I'm trying to stick with the challenge plan & use what I already have on hand.  (Hey, grand - plan - hand... I kinda rhymed!)



The result was fabulous, & I will definitely make it again & again!  



Asparagus Bacon Wraps

Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch asparagus
  • 1 tube crescent rolls
  • 8 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 pound crumbled bacon (I reserved the grease to saute the asparagus in, but you can steam it if you'd like)
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup shredded white cheese, such as Swiss, Italian Blend, or Mozzarella
  • Olive Oil
  • Poppy Seeds
Instructions:

Quickly saute, or steam, the asparagus for just a couple minutes being careful to not overcook.  It will cook longer in the oven! 

Lay out the crescent roll triangles, & spread 1 tsp Dijon mustard on each - then sprinkle on cheese, then the crumbled bacon.  Divide the asparagus spears equally between all 8 crescents, & roll up.  Brush on a little olive oil, & garnish with poppy seeds.

Bake at 350 for about 15, or until the crescent rolls are nicely browned.

.

--> Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...