July 31, 2012

Honey Baked Ham





Every year around Easter time, I always buy a couple of hams.  One to serve on for Easter dinner, and another to put in the freezer for the summer.  I love having a big ol' ham in the summertime, but I don't like paying a fortune for it - which is why I buy it when I do because the price is lower.






Now, I don't know about you - but I like my hams sweet, and reminiscent of the expensive honey baked hams that cost a fortune.  This, my friends, does not cost a fortune to prepare.  Quite budget friendly actually, and even more frugal since after the initial ham dinner you are left with all that great leftover meat, not to mention the ham bone.  







Honey Baked Ham

Ingredients:

1 bone-in spiral sliced ham 
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups honey
2/3 cup butter
pineapple rings & cherries (optional)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a saucepan, combine the brown sugar, honey, & butter on low heat.  Keep glaze warm while baking ham.  

Brush the glaze over the ham & use toothpicks to secure the ham & cherries if using. Bake for 75 minutes, making sure to baste every 15 minutes.  During the last 3-5 minutes of baking, turn the broiler on to caramelize the top.  Less if you like it less crispy, and more if you like the tops a little more crunchy.  

Remove from the oven, and let sit a few minutes before serving.


MrsHappyHomemaker




Shared with these great blog parties!

.

--> Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...