November 16, 2011

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies




Yes, I have been absent from cooking for quite a while.  I was hospitalized with colitis for about a week, and felt pretty icky afterwards.  While I was in the hospital, some other minor things were found & I will have to get surgery to fix them.  But, I'll be just fine.  It's definitely nothing major, just things I need to get taken care of.  

I have eaten so much broth & jell-o during this whole ordeal that I will be rather happy if I ever see either again.  EVER.  Ugh.  





These pumpkin whoopie pies are actually the first thing that I have baked since being back home, and they sure didn't disappoint.  Whoopie Pies kind of intimidated me for a while, and I never gave the recipes a second glance.  I'm glad I did though because they really aren't hard what so ever.  Seriously, they are so easy to make - so grab your easy buttons & let's go.






Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Instructions:

For the cookies:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1.5 cups pure pumpkin
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
  • 8 ounces cream cheese
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1.5 cups powdered sugar


Instructions:


Preheat over to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease your baking sheets.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, & pumpkin pie spice in a medium bowl.  Beat butter & sugar with an electric mixer for 2 minutes.  Add eggs, pumpkin, & vanilla extract & beat well.  Stir in flour mixture until well combined.

Drop by heaping teaspoons on a baking sheet, and press down lightly with the back of the spoon creating a flat appearance.  Bake for 10-13 minutes, until springy to the touch.  Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

For the filling - beat the cream cheese, butter, & vanilla extract together until fluffy.  Gradually beat in the confectioners sugar until creamy.

Spread a heaping teaspoon of filling onto flat side of one cookie; top with flat side of another cookie to make a sandwich.  Repeat with remaining cookies & filling.  Store in refrigerator.



.

--> Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...