March 13, 2012

Queso Fundido con Chorizo





Not only do I have a love for Southern cooking, but I also have love for the Mexican cuisine.  I'm a Southern gal, not a bit of Latino in me - but I just love the flavors so much.  And, I love experimenting with the different recipes that I find.

This one was first served to me in a Mexican restaurant, and no matter how many times I asked - or how nicely I did it, they just wouldn't give me the recipe.  

The Queso Fundido con Chorizo wasn't exactly the cheapest dish on the menu, so it was either pay a fortune for the dish every time I craved it or go home and try to figure it out myself.




I may love food - but I'm cheap.  No way was I going to do the first option.  So - to the test kitchen my kitchen I went to try my best to recreate it.  

I think I did pretty darn good because my version tastes even better than the restaurant's version.  And, it's not expensive at all.  This is the point in the post where I stick my tongue out at the restaurant chef.  You know how it goes - nanna nanna boo boo and all that good stuff.  




Even if you have never tried chorizo sausage, give this recipe a whirl.  The flavors will dance on your tongue, and you will be addicted.  Just like me.  But, I'm giving you the recipe - so therefor that makes me cooler than the expensive Mexican restaurant.




Queso Fundido con Chorizo

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed
  • 1/4 cup onion, minced
  • 10 ounces pepperjack cheese, shredded
  • 3 tablespoons diced tomatoes & green chiles, drained

Instructions:

Preheat oven to broil.

Brown chorizo over medium-high heat, using a wooden spoon to break up into small pieces.  Add onions & cook until translucent.  Drain off excess fat, & spread into the bottom of a medium sized casserole dish.

Place cheese & tomatoes in a microwave safe bowl.  Microwave 15 seconds at a time, stirring each time, until the cheese is melted and the tomatoes have been combined.  Spread the cheese in the casserole dish over top of the chorizo.

Broil on the top rack of your oven until cheese starts to turn golden brown, around 5 minutes.  

Serve hot with tortilla chips.


MrsHappyHomemaker



Shared with these great blog parties!

.

--> Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...