May 7, 2012

Honey Chipotle Barbecue Sauce





I've mentioned several times now how nice & warm our weather is right now. We've been getting our pool set up, gardening done, & a lot of grilling out too. We have a sandbox on our back porch, so our littlest loves to sit out there with us while we're preparing dinner, and then we all gather around the picnic table to eat.  I totally love it.

And, I love finding new things to grill.  So, when I saw this honey chipotle barbecue sauce over on Crumb: A Food Blog, which is my Secret Recipe Club assignment this month - I knew I had to have it.  

We love chipotle in our house, and I use it in so many recipes. So, if I see that in the ingredient list - count me in.  






The barbecue sauce was so easy to put together, and was the perfect consistency too.  I ended up increasing the molasses & Worcestershire sauce by just a smidgen, and omitting the paprika all together.  We brushed it on bone-in chicken breasts, and grilled them for about 20 minutes.  Goodness gracious - they were so good!  In fact, as I'm writing this - my husband just peeked over my shoulder and saw that I was posting it, and said 'Man, those chicken breasts were so good!'.  They were. 






Isabelle over at Crumb said it best, "Smoky, spicy, sweet & tangy, this thick barbecue sauce will put any commercial bottled sauce to shame."  She is so right.  

This was amazing on our chicken breasts, but I can't wait to try it on other cuts of meat.  I bet it would make a killer barbecue sandwich too!  Yum.






Honey Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
(makes about 1.5 cups)

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup finely diced onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons molasses
  • 3-4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons chile powder, ancho if you can find it
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
  • salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:

In a small saucepan set over medium-high heat, saute the onions in olive oil for 8 minutes.  Add the garlic & cook another 2 minutes, or until onions are very soft & golden.  Stir in the remaining ingredients.  Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low & cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes for the flavors to marry.

Using an immersion blender or food processor, puree the mixture until very smooth.  If the sauce is too thick or chunky, add a little water (a tablespoon or two at a time), until the desired consistency has been reached.


MrsHappyHomemaker




Shared with these great blog parties!

.

--> Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...