- 1 (4 pound) whole chicken
- 1.5 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 - 16oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 - 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock (reserved from boiling the chicken)
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1 - 16oz can baked beans
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 - 16oz can corn
- 1 - 16oz can lima beans
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup bbq sauce (depending on your tastes...I add 1 cup to mine, sometimes a little more)
Cook chicken in a large stockpot of boiling water for 45 minutes with the lid on.
Remove chicken from liquid to cool. Reserve 1 cup of the chicken stock & freeze the rest. Please don't throw it away - that's good stuff! Skin, bone, & chop chicken.
Saute onion & bell pepper in hot oil in your large stockpot until tender. Add chopped chicken, tomato, & next 4 ingredients.
Combine flour & 1 cup of reserved chicken stock, whisking until smooth. Stir into chicken mixture. Add potato & next 5 ingredients.
Cover & cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes. Add corn and lima beans. Cook for 10 additional minutes. Add in the bbq sauce, starting with 1/2 cup. Taste & add more depending on your tastes.