August 30, 2012

My Perfect Squash Casserole



I absolutely love squash. It's my favorite vegetable by far. There are so many things you can do with it, and with the exception of straight up frying it - making into a casserole is my favorite 2nd favorite way to eat it.  

When we first started gardening years ago, I experimented with several different recipes - none of which were bad, but none of which were perfect either.  As with most of my other recipes, I dabbled around a bit in experimentations until I finally ended up with perfection.  


Perfection ended up being simpler than I thought.


Follow along with me.  It's really easy.

Here's what you need.  In two parts.  Because I forgot to add the 2 bowls of squash & onions to the first photo.  Oh, and while the cheese crackers are mandatory for the recipe, the Angry Birds are optional.  Well, unless you ask my 2 year old.  





Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Place the squash (or how my PawPaw would say - 'squish') and the onions in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and pour in some water, just enough to cover.  Cover, & cook until the squash & onions are tender - about 5 minutes.




Drain it - and then set it aside in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, melted butter, salt & pepper.   In another bowl, mix together the cracker crumbs & cheese. Mix half of the crumb mixture with the squash, and then stir in the egg mixture.  Pour into a 2 or 3 quart baking dish.




Sprinkle on the remaining crumb/cheese mixture.  Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.





My Perfect Squash Casserole

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups sliced yellow squash
  • 1 cup sliced onion
  • 2 cups cheese crackers, crushed
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • enough water to cover

Instructions:

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Place squash and onion in a large skillet & pour in enough water to cover.  Turn the heat on medium-high, cover, & cook until tender - about 5 minutes.  Drain well, and place in a large bowl.  Set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, butter, salt, & pepper.  In another bowl, mix together the crumbled cheese crackers & the cheese.  Stir half of the crumb mixture into the squash along with the egg mixture.  Combine well.  Pour into a 2 to 3 quart casserole dish, and top with the remaining cracker/cheese mixture.  Bake for 30 minutes.



Never miss a thing, follow me on Facebook!

MrsHappyHomemaker


Shared with these great blog parties!

.

--> Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...