- 6-8 - 1oz snack packs of baked cheese flavored tortilla chips (like baked doritos)
- 3/4 pound pound ground sirloin (ground turkey or chicken can also be used)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed & minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup black bean & corn salsa
- optional toppings of your choice, such as shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, cilantro, chopped tomatoes, etc
For the prep before camping trip:
In a skillet, start browning the ground meat. Stir in the onions, jalapeno (if using), garlic powder, chili powder, salt & pepper. Cook until the meat is cooked through and the onions are translucent. Drain any grease that has come off the meat. Stir in the black bean & corn salsa. Allow to cool, and then transfer to a plastic container or wrap the mixture in a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil. Chill in a cooler until ready to eat at the camp site.
For the camp site:
Warm the meat mixture in a cast iron skillet, or if using a tinfoil packet - warm over the campfire. (The mixture can also be served cold, but is better warmed) Evenly distribute the mixture in between the snack size tortilla chip packs, crimp the edges, and give each pack a good shake. Top with any toppings you desire & eat straight from the bag.