During this time of year, most gardens are overflowing with squash and zucchini - I thought it would be fun (and tasty) to put a spin on a traditional cole slaw recipe by adding some of them into it. The flavors meld together so well, and the colors that the dish produces are just so beautiful. Plus, by adding these veggies into the slaw - you get a whole new health element added.
Summer Squash Cole Slaw
Created by Mrs Happy Homemaker for Life Around Home
- 1 medium sized yellow squash, unpeeled & julienned
- 2 small zucchini, unpeeled & julienned
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or sugar substitute)
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a large bowl, combine squash, zucchini, onion, & purple cabbage. In a separate small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients & mix well with a whisk. Pour over the squash mixture & toss to coat. Cover & refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon.